Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 5 April 2012

Info Post
There was dubiety in cashing out a Limited Edition DVD of 'Immortals', a film that is visually a smorgasbord of sumptuous treats however incomprehensible--and sometimes boring--storytelling is behind the fall down. I have watched this already in theaters, had the same dismissive thoughts and was kind enough to give it a chance (by grabbing it on DVD); and as the ending credit rolls, I read a name that rings a bell: Tarsem Singh. Tarsem, I knew him since 'The Cell', a movie that is adhering to the same show for 'Imortals', eccentrically stunning visuals and convoluted storytelling.


The King Hyperion's (Mickey Rourke) greed is beyond relentless as he destroys everything that stands in his way. He's vicious mission towards getting his hands on the Bow of Epirus, a sacred bow that shoots daylight glo-arrow that is also a tool in sweeping off the Olympian Gods. The King is determined, and when he is, he extremely is. Village after another he suppresses the people at least and takes away lives and shelter--he is devastation.

In one of Hyperion's raids, a stonemason Theseus (Henry Cavill) "witnesses hell" as Hyperion slits her mother's neck. He vowed to avenge her mother's mortality and alongside the Oracle, Phaedra (Freida Pinto), they have built a band of followers to put to stop Hyperion's fiendish aims.

I couldn't think that I have been utterly stupid to realize that Tarsem Singh is all visuals and none in story-telling. I could see it in each of his films. And what hurts the most is that I've just watched 'Mirror Mirror' a few days ago. I never learned my lesson until getting this Digital Video Disc. Tarsem Singh is has great chances to be Hollywood's greatest visual stunner, but not yet as a creative storyteller.


A tad better than the 'Clash of the Titans' however worse harshly than '300', Tarsem Singh is purely commendable disregarding all of his mistakes in storytelling which I won't be complacent about anymore because I'd sound utterly mean. With his visuals one would agree with me that he is unique talent and will one way or another be "in" movies. Some of his slo-mo violence are gut-twisting I'd tell you frankly.

Henry Cavill plays Theseus with muscles and wit. He is well-sculpted making him perfectly fit for his role as a mason. I think he deserves a space in this post.

To sum it all, I felt the pain of the villagers literally, and that is by watching this. It was punishingly bore-some, hurtfully weak and violently confused. Contradicting to its title, 'Immortals' is clearly mortal...it dies right there like a fish out of water.


0 comments:

Post a Comment