Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 15 March 2012

Info Post
With an utterly hot and bore-some afternoon in the atmosphere, I decided to run by the video store to learn if there is anything that will thrive at satisfying my movie needs. I slid my wallet into my back pocket and ran to the store. I snapped my fingers because I found out that I discovered "Milk" way too late.

Intuitive enough to feel that this review would be resembling of what a movie endorsement, you would figure otherwise because of the next sentence.


It the goodness, well not technically, starts in a subway; a pick-up wherein an almost in his 40's gay insurance guy (Sean Penn) and a good-looking young man (James Franco) is involved. End up together by night, casual and intimate--something I personally don't look for over a historic docudrama. I guess if I would be complacent about thing, but I won't, that would be it.

However "Milk" is a pulp of emotions that when it waves down your throat, all the goodness just frenzies.

In this emotion-triggering docudrama, we follow the first openly gay man elected to public office, Harvey Milk (a commendably played figure by Sean Penn). Someone who is so humorous and at once sympathetic and helpful decides to run for a public officer when events that showcased inequality dismissing the third sex constantly pops out and slaps him in the face. Struggles before his victory are there until he finally wins and comes powerful to the society.

Chaos ensues since then. He dies under the hands of a Dan White (Josh Brolin) and alongside the city mayor (Victor Garber). He is celebrated as a heroic figure who never stopped fighting for equality despite of the dubiety of his own citizens.

"Milk" is a completely gritty and solid emotional coaster that will play with your gut from start to finish. It is a gay movie and for the reason of "man nature" I felt unsettled and uncomfortable watching some scenes that involve men making love. I soberly felt not emasculated. Perhaps everything is near-perfect that it buries the discomfort in me.

Somehow, the third sex became a clear figure to me now. I understood them more.


Besides Penn, Franco who played Scott, Milk's lover also did well. We find a medley of different actors including a High School Musical loyalé. The progression was a little slower than it should be but all of that comes as a forgotten memory when the confrontation scenes began to roll.

Behind the issue of "gay rights", I guess what the movie intends to be instructive about is how the society must go far than it does, and how further it needs to fare more.

Instructive. Emotional. Genuine. Heroic. Historic. And singular. "Milk" may be the best movie made in 2008 and one of all time. It is a gay-themed film that delivers what it desires to deliver in an acceptable fashion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment