Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 15 March 2012

Info Post

At the beginning of the year, it was announced that Phil Collins' daughter Lily, was going to replace the man-chin wonder as the leading character of the newest installment of Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead series.  Shame on me for being late to the party, but it seems that seems that big brows has been replaced by an actress I'm far more familiar with, and one I believe fits the world of the Necronomicon much better than Lily Collins ever could.  Jane Levy, the sharp-tongued red head of Suburgatory and the new hit Shameless, is locked in as playing the heroine.  Of course fans are still in outrage that Bruce Campbell won't be reprising his role as Ash, but from what he's been saying...I think the fans have plenty to look forward to. 
What makes me most excited about the recasting is not only is Levy easily the best part of Suburgatory outside waiting for Jeremy Sisto's character to say "Yeah. I can't find my Cranberries CD. I gotta go to the quad before anyone snags it," but she also gives a rats ass about the film she's acting in.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I highly despise actresses that are cast in horror films that hate the genre.  We've gotta be real here when we admit that 99.9% of what horror casting directors look for is a hot body. Hell, face comes second on that list these days and acting chops easily comes third.  Not only does Jane Levy understand the importance of this film to genre fans, but she actually WANTS to be a part of it. She was quoted in saying,  "I'm so excited…  I'm a big fan of the original.  To me it's the scariest movie, ever.  But this one is really different.  They've changed it a lot, but it's still a pretty gory movie.  My mom probably can't see it.  As for the tone, I think the humor in the first one came from the special effects of the time.  I don't know that they meant it to be funny...  this one is not funny.  It's definitely dark." I'm not complaining. I'm glad to finally see an actress in a horror film that actually understands our weird culture. Somewhat.

Outside of Levy's announcement, it seems that this film is going to be mega female centric. According to THR, rounding out The Evil Dead cast for this are Jessica Lucas known for her roles on Melrose Place & Cloverfield and newcomer Elizabeth Blackmore known for Legend of the Seeker. Jessica Lucas is in talks for the role of Mia’s best friend, Olivia, while Elizabeth Blackmore has landed the role of Natalie, fiancée of David, Mia’s brother, to be played by Shiloh Fernandez of Red Riding Hood fame.  All in all, I'm rather pleased with the casting decisions.  I haven't seen much work from Lucas and Blackmore, but the casting of Levy has given me much to look forward to.  It won't be the same without Ash, but then again, I think that's the point. The film is set to begin shooting soon in New Zealand with a projected release date in April of 2013.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment